Sunday, June 18, 2006

Krakow ...

Our week-end in Krakow started on Friday evening in a nice little Brasilian pub - restaurant where the food was good but the service was crappy. And when I say crappy, I can support that with good evidence: our starters came at the end, when we had already almost finished our main courses, the main courses themselves took a long time to be brought to the table, etc. The main offence was that, when I ordered my Irish coffee at the end of the meal, the girl just stared at me in total amazement and simply declared that she did not know what that was or how to prepare it... And I simply stared back at her in amazement myself... All I succeeded was to get a regular coffee and some Baileys which I had to mix myself ... The concoction was not just potable but also reasonably good though ... Useful to remember!!

Krakow was a very very nice surprise for me. I had heard that it was supposed to be a beautiful city but so I heard about Sankt Petersburg, for example, and it proved to be a terrible disappointment .... This time all expectations were met and even exceeded....

It's a green city, the buildings are old but beautifully preserved, people are relaxed and happy looking. We were spared the sight of the horrible Stalinist buildings which are on display in Warsaw all over the place.

Despite the late start, on Saturday we succeeded to visit the famous Wawel Royal Castle which is really impressive on the outside but a bit disappointing on the inside. But who cares about that when you get to descend to the Dragon's den - which is basically a small cave - and enjoy the coolness inside after enduring the heat outside...

Oh ... I am ashamed to mention that the day started with a (short!) visit to some clothes shops in the city centre... The visit ended with my buying a nice business white shirt from United Colours .... There are some moments when I don't give two straws about castles, museums, cathedrals, etc., I am just happy with being left alone to shop, shop, shop - clothes, shoes, jewelry. Terribly vain, eh?? Tut, tut!

The day ended with a good meal in another restaurant and a pleasant walk to our hotels ....

No comments: