Sunday, November 26, 2006

Mikumi National Park

I returned to Brussels on Friday after a long but uneventful flight. I spent a few hours in Heathrow, between flights which gave me some time to peruse the shops and then retreat to the business lounge for almost two hours. And now, finally, I am back home again.

I thought I would be glad to return – I am, indeed, glad but also a bit sad. I felt incredibly good in Tanzania and was sorry to leave.

I spent an incredible weekend there. Last Saturday we made a trip to Mikumi National Park and on Sunday we went to Zanzibar.

Mikumi is located about 200 miles West of Dar-Es-Salaam and about 70 miles from Morogoro on the Dar-Es-Salaam to Zambia highway. We had an early start – we left the hotel at 6am. Despite my continuous fatigue, I managed to stay awake for almost the entire journey to Mikumi. The scenery was breathtaking, the little villages on the side of the road so picturesque, the mountains astonishingly beautiful.

Once we paid the park fees we went in and found ourselves in paradise. We were extremely lucky; we managed to see lots of animals – elephants, lions, zebras, giraffes, baboons, impalas, buffalos, elands, vultures, other beautiful birds. I felt so blessed and so lucky! I was especially impressed by a heard of elephants that crossed our way, with little baby elephants struggling to keep up with their parents :-) I also loved the tall giraffes, who made their way through the bush like pre-historic animals and very curious they were too ... Incredible images. Needless to say I took hundreds of pictures which I can hardly wait to download.

I should also mention the forest's smell and noises ... The smell of fresh vegetation and noises of millions little insects making their presence known to visitors ... Magnificent! I felt the need to get out of the car, stretch flat on the ground and lie there for hours on end, just listening ...

I think that nature and landscape have played the most important role in building my desire to go back to Tanzania for a holiday. It also partly explains my love for the country …

And I will go back soon, I know I will … Because nothing can ever compare to that. I am hooked!!!

No comments: