Sunday, November 05, 2006

A Girl's Treat


Speaking with one of my male acquaintances the other day, I realised once again that men and women are different in many respects. He said he goes shopping when his fridge is empty! I go shopping just about all the time and mostly for very different things, food being definitely one of the lowest priorities on my list.

I have an irresistible attraction to shoes and clothes (of the expensive sort, of course). I shop whenever there is a real need for new things (these instances, however, have become more and more rare lately) but, especially, whenever I feel under the weather. And this certainly happens more often than once in a blue moon.

Yesterday I went out with the main objective of buying a present for somebody’s birthday and ended up with half a dozen books and a new bag for myself. Additionally, I received some belated presents for my birthday (which I love and am very thankful for) – a pair of nice Victoria Secret slippers and a pair of beautiful earrings … Mmmm … Thank you!!

I had a very enjoyable lunch with one of my friends in a French restaurant and, later, both of us met other two friends for drinks and a chat. Needless to say, we had a lovely time :-). Afterwards, back in my flat, I enjoyed a night of absolutely nothing, lying comfortably on my couch and watching some movies.

Midway through what appeared to be an agreeable weekend, I got to thinking about relationships and differences between men and women. Are we vainer than men? Are we shallower? Are these clichés all true? Do men have equivalents of our shoes and perfumes and expensive jewellery?

Shopping might be the cure of a blue weekend afternoon but I am well aware of the fact that I could nicely do without it, in case this was really needed. I also know that it takes more than an expensive pair of shoes and a matching bag to solve the real problems.

No comments: