Saturday, November 11, 2006

Flying to Tanzania

Hurrah, I am going to Tanzania!! At last I will fulfil a life dream to see Africa! I will not even try to hide my excitement and eagerness at the thought that I am flying this afternoon!!! I’m flying British Airways through London and will arrive in Dar-es-Salaam on Sunday (very) early morning. It will be a long flight (one hour from Brussels to London and almost ten hours from London to Dar) but we are flying business so at least will have space to stretch our legs and even sleep, if we are lucky :-)

The preparations have been long and intricate, some of them quite unpleasant. I had to be vaccinated against several nasty diseases – diphtheria, polio, tetanus, yellow fever, hepatitis A. I am dead afraid of needles and I really had to pluck my courage to go to the travel institute and have these done. I will write shortly and in length about the trip to the institute and how we ended up consenting to be vaccinated – it is hilarious.

And, of course, malaria pills … I am taking Malarone – you start one day before the trip and continue one week after you return to your home country. Of course, taking the pills does not guarantee you won’t catch the disease :-) . I am actually a bit concerned about that as it’s the rainy season now in Tanzania and the risk of malaria is very high, especially on the coast, where we will be based.

I am writing this literally in the last minute – my suitcase is (nearly) packed and I am trying to concentrate (hard) and determine if I have taken everything. Including my camera, of course, and the three memory cards that I bought yesterday and the rechargeable batteries (my camera is a Canon Power Shot and I was advised to use rechargeable batteries instead of alkaline ones).

Yes, everything seems to be in order … I am in a hurry to finish this and post it … Taxi will be here in exactly half an hour.

I promise to give a detailed account of everything! And lots of pictures!

Have a fabulous weekend!

No comments: