Sunday, October 15, 2006

Marché aux puces and other weekend happenings

‘Is there a fair organised on your street each weekend?’ was the question whispered in my ear on Saturday, (very) early in the morning (I was soon going to find out it was 7am!). It was A, who visited me this weekend, and had been awoken by police cars with policemen shouting things into megaphones. I awoke dizzy and confused, having no clue what he was talking about. I dragged myself near the window and we both looked outside, noses pressed against the glass, like two curious children.

To my utter bewilderment, I saw several sheets or pieces of plastic spread on the pavement and, displayed on them, various items of second hand merchandise – from old dolls, books to worn out clothes. We even saw a clothes rack and an old telly waiting for interested buyers. We had quite a laugh, it was actually very difficult for me to stop laughing … there was also a mobile canteen, selling food and drinks allowing the exhausted visitors to have a pleasant rest. A very fat couple was already buying something to eat … As if they really needed it! Two black guys were selling books and dolls and an older couple was showing interest … The woman was closely examining a doll and showed it to her husband … He took it from her hands, looked at it, got his finger under the doll’s skirt and decided to buy it … :-). I looked and laughed for a while longer, such a crazy gathering of people, people with dogs on the leash, Chinese, black people, Arab people, I even saw Indians … The only thing they seemed to have in common was the poor dressing style … You could tell that they were all poor people, who else would buy second hand baby clothes sold directly from the pavement? The whole scene both saddened and made me laugh … Brussels truly is a perfect melting pot!! And I just love it so for it! I went back to sleep a little while afterwards as I still felt in need of sleep.

Later that day, sitting in an Indian restaurant, we talked about children and relationships, having children versus not having … and Moscow and job prospects.

The weather was fantastic this weekend again … These have probably been the last true autumn days in Brussels. Or, ones of the last, anyway. I feel so bad and regretful about having to fly to Moscow tomorrow! Grrrr .... what a dreary place!!

Today, sitting in a braserie, I was caught totally off guard by a question … He asked, in a very serious manner, if I would definitely come to live in Moscow … It was a very serious question … Impossible to dodge it … I fidgeted, tried to gain time by playing with my food on the plate, playing with my curls, taking a sip of water … Finally said that I would, provided I find a good job …

And here I am, packing my suitcase again! I am off to … Moscow tomorrow! I am full of prejudices about this country and culture but I know I have to look at it with different eyes … Maybe, just maybe, I will be able to survive there for two weeks. Just to prove a point. Not mine.

4 comments:

HedKra5h said...

So this was a market for poor people? I like markets like this, they show such a lot about the people selling things. Yes, second hand baby clothes off a street may seem desperate, but sometimes there are rare finds to be had. One of my favourite street markets is the Braderie in Lille, first weekend in Sept. Now that is exceptional .. the whole centre becomes one hugh street market where you can buy almost anything - provided you don't ask too carefully about it's provenance in some cases. And in the UK, we have a recent tradition of boot fairs. People empty their junk into a car, drive to field with 200 other like minded people and set up shop to see what of their old junk they can turn into cash. Again, one man's junk is anothers treasure. If I had been in your street, I would have been down in that market like a flash :-)

Wildcat said...

Yes, it was a market for poor people ... Quite interesting to look at, actually ... As for buying, apart from books, I wouldn't buy second hand anything so ... not too useful :-)

I would love to see that market in Lille, actually. Would you like to be my guide :-)

yasacan said...

Moving to Moscow, a bit tricky business though, if nothing but financial improving attached on it. Love if there is one, and whole love as in the novels, Dr. Jivago, forinstance, can make you return back to Moscow, Russia, if you can see beuty of wilderness, and snow...If it is (LOVE) attached on ticket to Moscow, if it is possible, well, you can be as happy as the poor people who set up to street market in your courtyard.
In London, there are several, second hand markets and before Xmas, or Easter or any other reason, residents organise house cleaning, and sell their stuff, to increase some money, for local school, nursery, or even local church, or some other humanly reasons. I like them, I visit them, some times I buy something from them, to contribute to their aims.

You will be back to Brussels < :-( >

Mustafa

yasacan said...

Moving to Moscow, a bit tricky business though, if nothing but financial improving attached on it. Love if there is one, and whole love as in the novels, Dr. Jivago, forinstance, can make you return back to Moscow, Russia, if you can see beuty of wilderness, and snow...If it is (LOVE) attached on ticket to Moscow, if it is possible, well, you can be as happy as the poor people who set up to street market in your courtyard.
In London, there are several, second hand markets and before Xmas, or Easter or any other reason, residents organise house cleaning, and sell their stuff, to increase some money, for local school, nursery, or even local church, or some other humanly reasons. I like them, I visit them, some times I buy something from them, to contribute to their aims.

You will be back to Brussels < :-( >

Mustafa