Wednesday, September 13, 2006

About trust ....

Some recent happenings in my life got me thinking about trust and relationships ... How hard it is to actually get to trust somebody and how easily this trust can be broken. Is trust something that you must deserve or is it rather something that you receive unconditionally from the very beginning, as a matter of course being, only afterwards, put to the test?

Can a relationship survive without trust? They say it can't and I tend to agree with the general view. Without trust the partners would actually torture one another and themselves at the thought of what the other's actions could be. Suspicion is the recipe for disaster in a couple's life. And not only. It's more or less the same in any kind of relationship, friendship included.

What is the connection (if, indeed, there is such a connection) between trust or, rather, mistrust and jealousy in a partnership? I think jealousy encompasses mistrust. And some dose of lack of self confidence, I suppose. Is the ability to trust your partner something that you can educate in time or is it something you are born with? Are some people more suspicious than other?

What if we have clear evidence that our friend or partner has lied to us ... And they persist in hiding the truth (or blurring it) even when offered an honorable opportunity to make a clean breast of it. Sometimes love is strong enough to make us disappointment proof and lead us to go on. Which is really amazing. But the image of that particular disappointment will continue to haunt us, probably.

Can trust be measured by degrees? I think not ... I think it's either you trust somebody fully and irrefutably or you don't trust them at all. But, then again, who am I to jugde? I have always been a black or white sort of person ... Too radical for my own good!!

No comments: